If you’re looking for the ultimate honeymoon destination, look no further! Getting married in style and jetting off on a romantic honeymoon is every girl’s fantasy. That special day will be forever embedded in your memory, and all the photos will get their own special placed on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts.
The problem is that weddings are expensive, even if you are a frugal person. And maybe you are thinking, how to save on your honeymoon and still have the time of your life. Well, there are a few gorgeous spots on this magnificent planet, that aren’t very expensive, but they do seem like a little piece of Paradise! You just have to search and think outside the box!
From tropical beaches to wildlife safaris; from secluded forest hideaways to spectacular mountain resorts, Africa offers some of the best low-cost honeymoon destinations on the planet.
When it comes to value for money, you can’t go wrong with our top three: South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique.
The birthplace of Nelson Mandela, South Africa is by far one of the best low-cost honeymoon destinations. The Dollar/Rand exchange rate is very favorable, giving discerning honeymooners added value at every turn.
The cosmopolitan city of Cape Town was voted Number One on the New York Times list of 52 best destinations. The country has some exquisite honeymoon offerings which cater to even the most meager of budgets. Be sure to check out some of these prime spots.
- Knysna, Garden Route – Some refer to this area as ‘paradise found’, and the region boasts several world class golf courses. The coastal village of Knysna is teeming with attractions, from golden beaches to cool, shady forests.
Experience a sunset cruise on the lagoon while feasting on champagne and oysters. Take a ride on an elephant, go whale-watching or walk with a cheetah. Browse flea markets or just soak up the atmosphere of the Knysna Heads, a spectacular geological feature situated at the mouth of the lagoon.
- Hazy View, Mpumalanga – Get your honeymoon off to an exciting start with some adrenaline filled adventures. Hazy View is situated a mere 20km from the world famous Kruger National Park. A real pampering from the local spas is a must!
View a spectacular sunrise vista from a hot-air balloon, go abseiling or take in the majesty of Africa’s breath-taking wildlife while rafting down the Sabie River. Horse trails and quad-biking facilities will get you to some truly phenomenal locations, and you can swim in the plunge pools of several incredible waterfalls.
- Drakensberg Mountains, KwaZulu Natal – Translated from Dutch, the Drakensberg literally means Dragon’s Mountains – and with good reason. When it comes to sheer majesty, the Drakensberg comes out tops, with some of the highest mountain peaks in southern Africa.
With place names such as Giant’s Castle, Cathedral Peak and Champagne Valley, the Drakensberg is a world heritage site not to be missed. It offers spectacular hiking and horse riding trails, rock pools and mountain streams. Visit wine farms or view ancient rock paintings; go whitewater rafting or enjoy skiing at Tiffendale during the winter months.
With a very favorable exchange rate, South Africa boasts some gems that simply cannot be ignored when considering the finest inexpensive honeymoon destinations.
When it comes to the ultimate safari honeymoon, Botswana offers two destinations that will leave you speechless. As with South Africa, the exchange rate is very favorable, and either the Okavango Delta or the Chobe National Park are sure to delight.
- Chobe National Park – Offers everything, from over the top lodges to affordable luxury tents. Night under the brightest of stars with lions roaring in the distance is a sure fire way to put the spark into your romantic future. You won’t be disappointed.
- Okavango Delta – It is the largest inland delta on earth. It is teaming with wildlife, from elephants to lions, zebra and giraffe. The Delta boasts a network of pristine waterways, secluded islands and tropical lagoons. Lodges vary in what they are able to offer and can cater for the affluent to the thrifty. With a little research, you are guaranteed to find the right recipe for romance.
Botswana’s honeymoon safaris are not only affordable, but they also come highly recommended. The country is a popular destination for many seeking the ultimate low-cost honeymoon destination. Be the envy of your friends and get cozy in Botswana!
Although the Mozambican mainland has some outstanding and very affordable destinations for newlyweds, it is their offshore islands which are at the heart of it all. Two of these stand out in particular.
- Bazaruto Island – Hard to beat if you are looking for a paradise island honeymoon. Bazaruto has tropical sandy beaches, azure blue skies, and warm, crystal-clear ocean waters. It is a scuba diving mecca where you can go snorkeling with dolphins, whale sharks, and turtles! Can it get any better?
- Benguerra Island – Offers the honeymoon couple miles of pristine beach to go horse riding on. Snorkeling, swimming or just lazing on your deck in the shade of palm trees will ensure your post wedding vacation amounts to tropical bliss. Several villas offer a 50% discount for the bride. This means your hard earned cash will provide an extra 50 shades of romance!
If your idea of a dream honeymoon involves eating the finest seafood, scuba diving in warm tropical waters while enjoying the privacy of your own island, Mozambique has all this and more. As with both South Africa and Botswana, the exchange rate is very favorable, and your money will go a long way.
Although Asia has some choice offerings which are ideal low-cost honeymoon destinations, it is India, and Goa in particular, which still comes out on top. The Maldives has its own offering of hundreds of islands, the perfect honeymooners’ destination station.
Goa – Unmatched when it comes to breathtaking scenery, magnificent ancient architecture, temples and old churches. The city of Goa comes alive with a cultural explosion of color to delight the senses.
The blend of modern facilities and old world charm is unique. You have the option of a romantic cruise along the Mandovi River, enjoy the exotic wildlife at the Mahavir National Park or hold your spouse close in front of a roaring beach bonfire. Nightclubs and restaurants abound so get ready to dance the night away!
Known for its pristine beaches, friendly people and tropical lagoons, the Maldives comprises of 26 coral atolls and hundreds of islands. These are perfect for exploring, and several charter companies will take you and your loved one on a romantic sunset cruise.
Enjoy a champagne breakfast on the beach, check out the busy fish markets, go surfing, scuba diving, and water skiing. Jet skis and other fun water sports will get the romance blossoming like a coral atoll! Be sure to take up all massage opportunities and enjoy world-class spa treatments at any of the popular resorts. With a favorable exchange rate, the Maldives will ensure you fall in love again and again!
Our Top low-cost honeymoon destinations for South America are Peru and Costa Rica. Each offers cultural charm, good weather and a host of amenities that will get the love juices flowing.
Whether you choose to live it up in Lima, hot-air balloon over the Nazca lines or ramble the ruins of Machu Picchu, Peru will indeed go beyond your wildest expectations. The country offers a range of budget friendly honeymoon options including cruise packages that cover the upper reaches of the mighty Amazon! Exchange rates are favorable too.
A four-day hike along the legendary Inca Trail will bring you in touch with nature while visiting ancient cultural runes. Don’t worry about carrying heavy backpacks! Simply rent a Llama with an experienced guide. This hike is undoubtedly a romantic extravaganza!
Costa Rica is often voted the happiest country on earth. From lush tropical forests to deserted beaches dotted with palm trees, Costa Rica is a honeymooner’s delight. Cruise from one village to another on a rented scooter, barter and haggle at flea-markets, dance the night away or go snorkeling and scuba diving in a warm azure blue sea.
Wildlife ranges from the highly endangered clouded leopard to monkeys, sloths, jaguars and more. The range of colorful and unusual birds is a feast for the eyes. Don’t forget to take loads of pictures so you can show off with your new spouse on social media!
When it comes to honeymooning in North America, Hawaii is so clichéd. Don’t, just don’t.
It is pricey, crowded and although breathtaking, really doesn’t have that much to offer. Our favorites for North America are Jackson Hole and Savannah.
- Savannah – If you are looking for an excuse to jump into your lover’s arms, then Savannah is where you will have plenty of opportunities. The town is famous for haunted buildings! Creepy graveyards abound. Only yell “Ghost” and then hold onto him as tight as you can.
On a lighter note, though, pumping nightclubs will help you burn off any calories you pick up from the delicious Southern Fried Chicken. To save a few bucks, book in the months of January and February. Hotels closer to the airport are also a lot cheaper.
- Jackson Hole – Has managed to escape the humdrum of modernity. Miles of pristine national forest stretch out in every direction. Your own secluded log cabin in the woods awaits. Think of sitting in front of a roaring fire, while unwinding from a day’s hike with your new spouse.
A visit to Grand Teton National Park is just a short drive away, or you could go walking through the National Elk Refuge. Jackson Hole ladies is where you want to be!
Europe has an allure for romance that is simply out of this world. The choice of destinations is vast and reducing it to our favorites has proved more than a challenge. We based our final decision on value for money and expert opinions. In the end, it boiled down to just two. The Greek island of Santorini and the sinking city of Venice in Italy.
Santorini – With its whitewashed walls and craggy cliffs surrounded by the Aegean Sea, Santorini lures newlyweds like no other destination in Europe. Sample some of the finest red wines from any number of vineyards or take a sunset cruise around the caldera, reputed to be the site of the lost city of Atlantis.
For sightseeing, a steep descent of three hundred steps will take you to Amoudi Bay, a delightful and secluded paradise. The island offers a host of modern amenities interspersed with ancient ruins; while the seafood is a gastronomical experience that will get your taste buds begging for more.
Venice – The best time to visit Venice is from late September through to November. Hotel prices are quite cheap, and you can sip on vino with your amore. A visit to St Mark’s Basillica and a trip down the Grand Canal on a gondola should be high on your agenda.
Visit some of the glass blowing factories and see an incredible talent that has made Venetian glass world famous. When it comes to romance, remember Venice is the romantic capital of the world.
Discover more European destinations that won’t ruin your budget here.
And congratulations! We hope you have a happy and prosperous marriage!
Pin it for later: